Friday, July 13, 2007

The World Series is Back

Of Pop Culture, that is. This year's VH1 Pop Trivia extravaganza is on, and I'm wathcing. Much more voraciously than I did last year, actually.

Last year, I made reference about how the team names were the most interesting part of the competition. This year, I think that may not be true.

Really, the categories are spectacular this year. Stuff like Weird Al, Butt songs, you name it. And in the style of Phantom Scribbler, I give you a bonus conversation:

Spouse and I were watching last night when they got to the tie-breaker on black actors who have won acting Academy Awards. Denzel, Jennifer Hudson, even Sidney Poitier. We're doing well. And then the contestants get down to the last one and there's a distinct pause.

Spouse: "Louis Gossett Jr."
Quinn (shocked): "I think you're right!"
Spouse: "Yeah, I saw this episode last night. Who's Louis Gossett Jr.?"

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger K-Lyn said...

We so need to get together for a finale party...

3:05 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

:) I started watching this at the gym Monday evening when I was on the cardio machines. I discovered that I can't watch game shows while at the gym, because although most people wear headphones for their own private iPod or TV enjoyment, they can hear me yell "It's Sting you idiot! STING!" at my TV screen.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched last go-round, as you know, but I haven't gotten into this version.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Spouse rocks. And he got you good.

While nothing approaches last year's team name Sexual Chocolate, I was rather fond of the somewhat obscure Jammin' on the 1.

Yeah, we need to form a team, cool name or not.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Oh, yeah:

Butterfly McQueen
Jamie Foxx
Whoopi Goldberg
Morgan Freeman
Halle Berry
Forest Whitaker

Just those ten, right?

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and Cuba Gooding Jr ...

12:34 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

You can nix Butterfly McQueen off the list and replace her with Hattie McDaniel.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Oh right. And right. Clearly you'll be in charge of that category.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I'm leaning toward Fragilay at this point. And Neel, I agree with your appraisal about Jammin on the 1 being the best team name.

(I was somewhat partial to the Carlton Banks Dance Academy, too, but that was probably due to the presence of Indian blood.)

6:55 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

Fragilay is awesome, CBDA was good, but Westerberg High was the one that made me happiest. Too bad they couldn't live up to it. And Twisted Misters have the best outfits!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home