Monday, July 02, 2007

Rollin' with the Hindus (Part III)

The continuing saga of the wedding of the century! My mom asked me before we left for NC if the groom was going to ride in on a horse. I said, "If anybody would be doing it, it would be him." And yes, there was a horse.

Saturday morning: baraat.

I've always been on the groom's side of the wedding, so I've never seen what the bride's family and friends do prior to the ceremony. But we had a blast out in the parking lot, processing our asses off. We were following an SUV with a hell of a sound system. Spouse was off being a groomsman -- so he had to dance around with the knife and the coconut. Significance? Who knows? I was wrangling the kids and trying to dance occasionally.



We drew a crowd of curious onlookers, and I believe at one point about 30 people were standing in front of the hotel watching the scene. DQ and WB were more interested in the groom's horse. His name was Jack, and both of them got to pet him after the groom descended. (He was actually pretty skittish. Maybe he doesn't like Hindi pop.)

You know the whole Joseph Campbell theory that all cultures and religions have the same elements?



The Hindu version of the Hava Nagila. Minus the chairs = Higher degree of difficulty.



After the procession, we went inside and the actual marriage ceremony took place. Here's the priest bestowing his blessing. Yay! They're married!


Thanks to P-nut for these pictures, since my camera was AWOL. (I give props to those who deserve it, and believe me y'all, she's worth it.)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ~N said...

What a post, what a post, what a post, what a mighty good post. (A mighty, mighty good post.)

I need to get their greatest hits or something.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The knife is to ward off evil spirits. The coconut is given to the groom by the mother of the bride at the engagement. He must bring the coconut back to the wedding. I assume it is a test of responsibility that he doesn't lose or break the coconut during this time period. Well, I made the last part up...but my other guess would be something about fertility:)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Pretty fly for a white guy, EJ.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home