Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

First off, I want to wish Spouse a Happy Father's Day. I couldn't ask for a better partner in this scary, wonderful parenting process. He's everything a father should be. (Plus, he handles the medical emergencies with grace and calm, allowing me to indulge in the role of hysterical, overprotective mom without any lasting damage to the kids.)

Second off, I want to wish those dads out there in bloggerworld a Happy Father's Day. So to Nathan, Scrivener, Corndog, Dean Dad, bdure, and all the rest, best wishes!

Third off, a memory.

I was 14 years old when I was asked out on a real date for the first time. I was to accompany Floopy Haired Boy to a Dead Milkmen Concert. This was a major coup, since I had quite the crush on FHB. And I was, shall we say, socially awkward, so the prospect of an actual date was huge.

The day of the concert, Floopy Haired Boy called and told me he couldn't get tickets. So we weren't going. And then he hung up. Now, this could be the truth, or it could be that I was being stood up. I know I took it as the latter. My sister was away at college; my mom was off somewhere (although goodness knows, with our relationship being at a near shut-down at that point, I would not have confided in her with any of the emotional difficulties this gave me.) I was, instead, home for the evening with my dad.

Dad, being a middle-aged guy totally not up to the task of dealing with his socially awkward 14 year old daughter's first date being cancelled at the last minute, did what any dad in his position would do. He took me out for ice cream. And, even though he's a bit of a cheapskate, he told me I could get a sundae.

Almost 20 years later, and I remember that vividly. Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I'm all verklempt.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

:) Sorry you didn't get to go out with FHB, but what a nice memory you have with your dad now!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Thanks, Quinn. And I hope Mr. The Brain and your dad had great Father's Days.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Jade, don't worry. The rumors from later on were that I was definitely not FHB's type, in much the same way that I was not Andy's type. If ya know what I mean.

I sure knew how to pick 'em, eh?

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home