Monday, June 04, 2007

Caution: Emulating Pirates can be Hazardous to your Health

Sure, we all want to be Captain Jack Sparrow.
But at some point, we must understand that piracy has its dangers. And I don't mean having your heart cut out, walking the plank, or even developing a rum dependence.

I mean legos.

My nephew is currently obsessed with pirates. He has a lego pirate set, complete with a treasure chest with gold pieces. This weekend, he decided to do what any forward-thinking pirate would do: hide his gold where nobody would find it. This did not go exactly to plan. He informed my sister, "Mommy, I have a gold lego up my nose."

Mom and Dad instructed their 6 year old to blow his nose, but he instead snorted, lodging the lego even farther up his nasal cavity. Tweezers did not solve the problem. So a trip to the ER occurred.

After the removal of the lego, my nephew graciously thanked the doctor and asked if he could have the lego back. But he learned his lesson: "Noses are just for boogers."


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Mmmmmm.... photos of Depp. *drool*

Why is it when you tell a kid to blow their nose the first thing they do is snort instead? Why why why?!?

10:19 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

My condolences to your nephew and his parents, but man, talk about your buried treasure for kids.

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there."

11:40 AM  
Blogger bdure said...

There's a great episode of the animated show Home Movies in which the baby shoves marbles up her nose. Brendon and company decide to make an education music video called Don't Shove Marbles Up Your Nose.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Yeah, Jade, all just an excuse to post a pic of Johnny.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Scrivener said...

A year or two ago we had to take Ella to the doctor to have a piece of orange removed from her nose. My comment at the time applies here: you really know you're a parent the first time you have to take your kid to the doctor to have something pulled out of his or her nose. It's like a modern rite of passage or something.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sure, we all want to be Captain Jack Sparrow."

(Hem hem. "Be"?)

----

I don't remember any childhood incidents of this, but one teenager in my family stuck a penny up his nose ... ("I just wondered if it would fit.")

12:05 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Ok, maybe not be Cap'n Jack...

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh ;).

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home