Saturday, June 09, 2007

Parenting Affirmations

We were at an outdoor restaurant having truly terrible Mexican food last night. It was a gorgeous day, so we picked up the kids on the bikes and rode to the park, then to the restaurant for our dinner. There were about 5 outdoor tables, 3 of which were taken, all within view of where our bikes were parked.

As dinner progressed, the kids of course got restless and wanted to walk around. They walked back to the bikes and were playing around them. When all of a sudden we heard, "Daddy, I don't want [WB] to touch my bike!"

Daddy replied, "Too bad."

The table next to us was a couple sans kids, and they started laughing. "Good answer." Spouse turned toward them and said, "Sorry, I guess that sounded a little harsh."

The woman replied, "No, it sounded like good parenting. That's the way you keep them out of jail."

Her companion added, "You don't want a little Paris Hilton on your hands."

Indeed, we do not.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

I agree. Both with the sentiment that good parenting is not mollycoddling your child, AND with the wish that you are not tortured by a child with the attitude and disposition of Paris Hilton.

:)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Here's another tip, for later. When you get around to having those Birds and the Bees discussions, please include in your unit on sexual etiquette that one must never, EVER answer a cellphone in the midst of passion, especially while the video camera is running.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

!
Did she? really? yarr.
(Yes, I am the one person in the country over 8 who has not seen the video.)

Myself, I was just thinking how American society has clearly hit a low spot (I was going to say "a nadir," but then I was afraid I'd be proven wrong): we used to aim for upstanding citizens, good character, that sort of thing ... which seems to have backfired, one way or another, so now we just aim for "not Paris Hilton."

Sigh ;).

Hopefully we parents can all claim success, with this generation ;).

PS verification: hotdpm :).

10:14 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

KR, I have not seen the video either. So this is all news to me.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, we should aim for Nicole Richie as our standard...


On some level I would laugh kind of hard if there were a few paris hilton moments...of course I'm 2000 miles away:)

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home