Friday, June 29, 2007

Rollin' with the Hindus (Part II)

Garba!!!

This was probably the highlight of the weekend for me. We had a blast! It was a big dance party, and the kids really enjoyed themselves. Plus, by Friday evening, lots of the college buddies had arrived in town. So I was partying with my roommates (who were all decked out in subcontinental finery), ate a fantastic meal, and then danced the night away.

We leared garba dancing and dandiya raas (the stick dancing). With the garba, I watched folks do a couple of laps before I felt comfortable taking WB in my arms and joining in... and then once I got my courage up, I spotted a group of five or six young women who were doing intricate variations on the simple pattern, and felt totally confused again. But we managed to keep up, even if we weren't terribly graceful.



I like this shot because it is unidentifying to the people I don't know, but also it shows the sense of circular motion.

The Dandiya Raas was probably my favorite part. DQ dug it, too. Although we did have to eventually confiscate their sticks for fear of sibling skull-cracking.

[Picture removed]

WB in his Indian duds. He loved his scarf. But refused to wear it. What he did like to do is play with mine. Indian clothing serves multiple purposes. You can use it to hold onto children (or have them hold onto you), and to entertain them!

[Picture removed]

DQ in her finery. I unfortunately didn't get full shots of the kids, so candids have to do.

These shots may come down after a few days.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger K-Lyn said...

Ahem...pictures of you in the fabulous outfit are needed, pronto!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Pictures of me in the fabulous outfit don't exist on my camera, since it was left at the temple Friday night and I wore the outfit Saturday. I'll let you know when I get something.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home