Wednesday, July 04, 2007

"Project Slut"

Happy 4th and all that crap. I'm feeling really pessimistic about the future of the country these days, so I'll just skip over all that and tell y'all that I had a nice anniversary, and get on with other random crap.

T once described herself as a "project slut" or "craft slut," meaning one who moves from one project to another with no serious aspirations of finishing anything. Or maybe just killing time until the next (more interesting) project comes along. But this is really more of craft serial monogamy. And I do it too.

But now, the times they are a changin'. I have become a project slut. I have 2 different blankets going right now, and have "cheated" on both of them to make a hat and three (yes, THREE!) purses.



I am giving these to WB's teachers as end of the year presents. I liked them so much, I made myself a larger one out of the remainder of the yarn.

[Aside: while at the wedding, a debate broke out about whether I was sufficiently granola enough to warrant the title "granola." My response: "I crocheted myself a damn purse! That isn't granola enough?" N responded, "You need a dress made of wheat." Touché.]

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Peters said...

Love the purses. I totally identify with the project serial monogamy--and occasional infidelity. I crochet purses for myself, too :) Lately I've been into sewing, making greeting cards, and most recently, decorating cakes. Sometimes I post pictures of my crafts on my family blog: http://sarahandshannon.blogspot.com

5:23 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ooohh, you are going to have to send me the pattern for the purses! Your crochet projects always look fantastic!
I know what you (or T, rather) means about being a craft slut. I go from one type of craft from another. But I think I finally found my life-partner in crochet - luckily we have an open relationship which lets me dabble in other crafts occasionally without too much guilt.

You are totally bringing up college memories for me when someone nicknamed me and my roomie "Grunge & Granola." While philosophy and clothing were the same, to tell us apart, I was "Grunge" since I was from Cascadia (eh, Midwesterners...)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Will do, Julie.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so i see a post like "project slut" and i'm thinking that you've adopted a project to become a slut. which i find intriguing. but alas, the emphasis is on PROJECT slut, not project SLUT. oh well...

8:37 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

ha ha ha!

I find it interesting that "Project slut" is the new search that gets the most people to my blog. You know, as opposed to Carlos Beltran pictures.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home