Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve, Lame-ass version

I'm having a rather nice New Year's Eve. Spouse is working the night shift, the kids are in bed, and I'm all alone to do whatever I want (provided it doesn't involve making too much noise or leaving the house.) I watched the Duke/San Jose State game that I had taped from earlier in the day -- incidentally, where does Fox Sports Net get off calling a 1pm eastern (10am my time) game Sunday Night Hoops?

Anyway, I spent a pleasant hour or so watching the game and crocheting a blanket -- blue and white stripes -- for my college roommate's forthcoming offspring. Relaxing, nice. I may have to take a page from Phantom and make a new year's resolution to blog less and crochet more.

I'm not a big "I love the night life, I like to boogie" kind of girl, so a night like this isn't a disappointment. In fact, I'm rather glad that this will hopefully be the first New Year's in a while that I get to sleep at a decent hour and stay asleep until a decent hour. Two years ago, I spent New Year's Eve nursing and rocking the two week old WB, while watching a marathon of "The History of Sex" on the History Channel. At about 2am, I saw my undergraduate advisor getting interviewed! Yay!

May the new year bring peace in our hearts and in our world. I'm off to watch Eddie Izzard on BBC America.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Uh yeah. We watched the football game that was on, then New Year's Rockin' Eve, with my 20-year-old cousin and a gaggle of 9 to 10 year old girls squealing in the back of the house. Kid champagne was consumed by the gallon. Adult champagne still sits in the fridge. I didn't even get to kiss Mr. Mac at midnight - too many squealing girls. Miss Baby gloriously slept through it all. In all, VERY nice!

Happy New Year!

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big "I love the night life, I like to boogie" kind of girl
See, now, when did you and I trade places ; ) ? First the brown cords and Birkenstocks ... didn't you used to go out?

I've always wondered whether we made the right choice for your bachelorette (for more reasons than the (hem hem) ouzo ; ) ). We should have taken you to an indoor soccer game or something! D'oh!

For _my_ New Year's, I took Spouse to the biggest bash downtown, and we had a really fun time--and the dress code was semi-formal and up (there was a paragraph on the website dedicated to "We love this town, too, but sometimes you should wear something besides jeans ... ").

I wore a red thigh-length dress from college (ah, the A-line saves the 5-months pregnant woman), and matching red strappy heels with rhinestones that got three compliments on the way IN : ). (They, like my clutch and my wrap, were Goodwillian! I get hometown points for that ; ).) Being our hometown, I was among the .... oh, 2%? ... maybe 5% ... of women not wearing Black. Unfortunately, I was mostly on the dance floor that was least likely to get photos taken for the society pages--sigh.

Ah, the diva/Leo in me enjoyed it, anyway, though : ) ... and there were plenty of people watching, even if none were taking photos.

(Have I gone over to the dark side?)

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS, mostly for ~N, but also others who heard me gripe at the 10th Reunion: at this party had some SMASHING desserts ... even the non-chocolate ones were good. And somehow they had Really Good strawberries (dipped in Really Good chocolate--added bonus!) in late December(?!?) ... my all-organic self pointedly ignored the copious jet-fuel that must have been expended to provide that treat ; ).

11:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what college roommate is expecting...did I miss an announcement???

3:38 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

EJ, yes, you should be aware of this. Think the triple, think Duke marriage.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home