Monday, February 20, 2006

A Bronze in Procrastination

I wrote two pages today, so does that mean I can play in the blogosphere for a bit? I can? THANKS! (I'm sure that more than makes up for four days of worthlessness.)

I love the Olympics. Always have. I think it's the combination of sports fan and geography buff -- a rare duo? But seriously, it doesn't matter if it's Snowboard Cross or figure skating, I'll probably watch it. Except for Hockey. Just can't do that.

That being said, there are a couple of things I've enjoyed in particular this Olympics, and that's not even counting one blogger's inspired erotica.

First up, shallow thoughts: Apolo Anton Ohno. I like him because I like Short Track and he looks like a prettified version of my high school boyfriend. Long brown hair, bandana, little soul patch. Of course, high school boyfriend didn't quite have the legs, but who does?

Not-so-shallow thoughts: In long track, I hope Joey Cheek's philathropic gesture garners more attention that a brief mention and a possible date with a post-Brad Angelina. It's really saying something when a guy who works at the Depot is willing to give away that much money.

In the family bonding category, I love these little I-Control previews that are available on my digital cable. They have 6-7 minute previews of various sports, so I can turn them on with the Drama Queen and we'll practice our skating. We don slippers, go to the hardwood floors, and slide around. Hands behind back for speed skating, hands holding an imaginary stick for hockey, and hands floopily twirling for figure skating. DQ thinks this is a fantastic game. And a good workout. Unfortunately, she didn't dig curling yesterday. Oh, well.

A word about non-Olympic Sports: J. J. Redick broke the Duke all-time scoring record last night, as Duke took back the number one ranking in the country. Go him and go us! Spotted Duhon in the crowd. Go me!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger TheMemoWriter said...

Here's an original thought...Duke Sucks!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Thanks for the plug. I haven't actually watched any Olympics until last night, with all that falling in the ice dancing competition. Priceless.

Apolo Ohno: kind of an Asian-American version of Jimmy Fallon. Loses points for using the middle name, as if we were confusing him with other Apolo Ohnos.

People can hate Duke all they want, but they most certainly do not suck. I hate Connecticut, but they don't suck either. They're scary good.

I would have expected a fellow law type to do better than express his basketball preferences in such binary terms. Where's the nuance?

2:55 PM  
Blogger N. English said...

If I could just get my kid to sweep, we'd be golden! My two cents, people watch the Olympics for the same reason they watch NASCAR...for the crashes. It's been a good year.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

He's not really my type, but Apolo's pretty cute. I wouldn't toss him out of bed for eating crackers. And, what's wrong with sucking? Some of my best friends suck.

3:53 PM  
Blogger N. English said...

As for falling, check out this little tidbit on ice-skating and scoring (not necessarily in that order, Andy) ;) Seems like the days of graceful knee-whacking are over.

http://www.slate.com/id/2136701/

7:45 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

AAO....YUM-EEE!!!!

And my heart broke when I thought our Canadian ice dancer did. Glad she's ok. Really bummed she couldn't skate finals.

I'm so hurt that you can do curling but not hockey...really. Low blow.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home