Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Che Guevara T-Shirt

[I'm procrastinating today. Sue me.]

I was listening to Richard Shindell's CD, Somewhere Near Paterson, yesterday on the way to pick up the kids. Transit came on, which is just about my favorite Richard song ever (forgive me, Mary Magdalene). And not just because I'm the kind of person who likes six minute songs with no chorus. And I finally figured out what makes this song so compelling for me: the sense of motion, of constant and relentless journey toward some attainable or unattainable goal.

I figured this out because I have a new favorite Richard song, off his new album, Vuelta. Che Guevara T-Shirt. It's another song about traveling, this time stowing away by boat. But the same sense of motion -- no chorus to loop you back, you must go forward. You have no choice. It's magical. As tragic in its journey as Transit is triumphant. It's the rhythm, the words, the mood. The total package.

He may be a cranky old folkie, but geez, can this man write!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home