Sunday, July 22, 2007

Absolutely No Spoilers Here!

As I'm sure you've guessed, I've spent just about every waking moment this weekend disentangling myself from the kids in an effort to get entangled in the world of Harry Potter. And I'd been doing a pretty good job. I got WB down for his nap and DQ in her room for her quiet time, and went to my room anxious to get back into the book. Oooh, exciting!

I was 450 pages into it, and then it happened. Page 387. Again.

I turned the page. 388. 389. Et cetera. For about 30 pages, then we jump ahead to 483. Um, WHA???

I flew to the phone and called my friendly neighborhood Borders. I explained the situation (and the woman on the telephone says "Oh my GOD! That's horrible!" -- alas, she understood my plight.) and asked if they had any copies and could I exchange it. She put one on hold for me, and so now I'm waiting... not so patiently... for WB to wake up so we can take a little trip to the bookstore. I'm sorely tempted to help him along in the waking process.

Can you feel my pain??? I feel in need of St. Mungo's already.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger K-Lyn said...

Mom had that happen with her book! Not exactly but close...She was missing pages here and there between 300 and 480. She checked mine and was apparently it is fine and she was able to read what was missing but still. So she's finished it but because I was racing and Hamlet-ing all weekend I only got to chapter 7.

Best of luck to you.

8:33 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

Argh! That IS horrible! I hope you were able to get yourself a good copy, although the messed-up ones might be worth something one day.

At least the clerk was sympathetic. And helpful. Most of the sales clerks I met were too flustered to think straight. It was mass chaos.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Hate for that to happen to anybody, but how can you go to a chain bookstore in your town, instead of that great independent one?

2:27 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

two words: amazon credit.

7:58 AM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

And the fact that you couldn't anywhere near the city of books. They blocked off a bunhc of streets around it and had a big blow out party all weekend. Not condusive to popping in and grabbing the book.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

You seem to know a lot about this blowout party. Did you attend? Did you bring a towel -- uh, wand?

9:41 AM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

It also happened here in ATL: http://www.accessatlanta.com/arts/content/arts/stories/2007/07/23/potterpages_0724.html

So sad. I'm glad Mr. Mac has already read our copy so that this won't happen to me when i get around to reading it.

Sounds like this was kinda common.

1:07 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

Attend? No. A member of my cast works at Powells and the original plan was to go to the bash as a group after Friday night's show but I had Dragonboat races that required me be at the water by 8AM Saturday. Partying until all hours was not an option. But I did pass the traffic jam on the way home and got reports back (both pictures and video) from those who attended.

Although, I was not alone as there was at least one paddler per team tent that was reading when not on a boat.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

A friend who did attend said there were actual Quidditch teams. It was a sight.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home