Wednesday, January 03, 2007

On a scale of good things and bad things...

These are good things:
  • DQ's Holiday concert, which was scheduled for the night of the big storm, is going to be rescheduled. We had already accepted missing it, since we were at graduation in the Southland. Hooray for second chances!
  • Pink Lady Apples! (Although I'm not all that fond of Pink Ladies... except for Rizzo.)
  • Super Size Me. I finally saw this documentary, and it was awesome!
  • I smell pine fresh after clearing the tree from the backyard. Anybody want some firewood?

These are the bad things:
  • My winter term class may not make enrollment, which means it may be cancelled and I will be unemployed. This also serves to be the least motivating news I've received, on this the day I planned to genuinely get back to work after my post-graduation vacation.

  • The swingset was not salvageable. The kids are sad. (Although, silver lining, the yard looks HUGE without it.)


  • It's raining. Again.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It's raining. Again."

Just curious...what did you really expect? Get used to this until, about July.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

How did your course description read? Did you use the word "extreme"? Because marketing experts say "extreme" is hot right now.

BUMMER about the swingset.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny F. Scientist said...

Quinn- here via the whining to say that 'I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas' is my favorite Christmas song EVER and I nearly wrecked my car the first time I heard it. Hurrah! And condolences on the late swingset and all.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Welcome, JF! I guess the biggest anti-whine would be that nobody was actually ON the swingset when the tree landed. :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

So sorry about the swingset. Our neighbors on the left had a fence pulverized in that storm, the neighbors on the right had a tree limb through their roof, and the ones behind us got a big limb on their house.

We escaped lightly, and were so glad we had the rotten tree taken out last summer.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I wasn't kidding about the use of the word "extreme." Yesterday I was at Border's shopping for books and I came across this. *Shudder*

7:10 AM  
Blogger bdure said...

Super Size Me draws a mixed review from me. I thought the basic experiment was fascinating, and that part of it would be fun for a high school health class. But he laid it on a little thick when it comes to rooting for McDonald's to wither and die. That's simply not going to happen, and he'd be much better off lobbying McDonald's to stock healthier food.

I did a reverse "Super Size Me" when I was at the Olympics. I ate at least every other day -- probably 12-15 times in the 18 days I was there. But I lost weight.

I don't think that experience invalidate Spurlock's experiment in any way. Obviously, I was eating more salads and fruit/yogurt parfaits than Quarter Pounders and milkshakes, and my daily one-mile commute on foot helped. My overall food intake was surely lower than it is here at home.

But my Italy experience goes to show that the clown itself isn't evil. It's up to us to realize we can't just load up the special sauce and large fries.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Welcome, PK! Does our little storm have a name yet? Windstorm of the Millenium?

Andy -- EXTREME BIBLE STUDY! I like it. I'll have to find a way to work it in next time around.

BDure -- yes, I think Spurlock's experiment was flawed (he was clearly trying to reproduce the worst case scenario... and succeeded.) I have been known to sample the fine feasting that is McD myself. All things in moderation, right? But that wouldn't make for a gripping documentary.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Yes, because you know, there's just not enough extremity in religion today.

/sarcasm

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home