Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Taking Advantage

Once upon a time, I moved to the Northeast. We anticipated living there for about five years. After 8 months, financial prospects were not as positive as they had been, and we were (professionally, socially, and climate-ly) unhappy. We returned to the South after a year. I don't regret my move there, but I do regret that since we did not know we'd be leaving so soon, we did not take advantage of all the great stuff up there.

Fast forward to this most recent move. Add into the mix that we've had a beautiful summer and the rainy season is fast approaching. And that I have no job. And that Spouse has random days off here and there. Total: we've been taking advantage of our location to do all the things you're supposed to do when you live in Cascadia: go hiking, go caving, see waterfalls, visit volcanoes, etc.



Here is the Drama Queen, who did much better on her first major hike than we expected. She wanted to carry a pack. She wanted to LEAD us. She wanted to be the TRAIL BLAZER! Of course, as we neared the top, she wanted to be carried.

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Actually that sounds like a lot of hikers I know (no matter what the age!)



I thought that you would appreciate that my word verification is qqqqkr

8:21 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

KR will get a kick out of that, too!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Trailblazer. Ha. That was funny!

So did you see a waterfall or a volcano?

12:17 AM  
Blogger N. English said...

I'll be sure to buy her a machete on my next trip back! Good for her. Remind her, every now and then, that "the view never changes unless you're the lead dog".

9:33 AM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

You're inspiring me to take advantage of my unemployed state, the time that is 'fall' in North Georgia, and my funny Miss Baby. Oh boy. :-)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

DMD -- off topic, I've tried commenting on your site a couple of times recently and am getting no reply. Are you receiving your comments?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

No Quin - I'm not getting any comments. I haven't for a few months. Hmmm.... I'll tinker now.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

(again with the dropped 'n'. ARgh!)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Color me embarrassed! I had 'moderate comments' turned on, and I wasn't, well, moderating the darn comments. So nothing went up.

Sigh. All fixed now.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qqqqkr

coolio ;)!

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home