Tuesday, May 23, 2006

When good literature lies

"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." -- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Um, no. While I tend to agree with the Atticus Finch worldview about a good many things, there is one point I must make.

Mockingbirds are mean little SOBs! They attack my dogs. They attack me. They like to build their nests with animal or human hair, and my long ponytail is very inviting.

This weekend, I intervened when my dog and my neighbor's cat were both being dive-bombed by one of those little birds. I did not commit the sin of killing the bird, but I did give him a good scare.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Neel Mehta said...

I did give him a good scare.

Boo?

9:20 AM  
Blogger N. English said...

I prefer my 1956 20 ga belgian browning over and under. Why scare 'em when you can eat 'em?

9:22 AM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

Good scare? Why do I have a mental picture of you standing in front of said bird saying
"Boom! Ratatatat. Bang! Boom!"

You'd have to be pretty dodgy on heart...

Anwyay, are you SURE it was a mockingbird? Or maybe Atticus wanted to refer to another bird but Mockingbird sounded better? Like how Richard said he actually likes Peterbilts better than Kenworths but "Peterbilt Of My Dreams" sounds like a dumb title.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Quinn - you're absolutely correct. Mockingbirds are mean buggers, especially when they have eggs on or babies in the nest. Much like Gators.

Only they will just swoop at you. They can't really bite.

I had this awesome kitty when I was a kid - ChowChow. Anyway, Chow was walking across the yard one time, when she was attacked, and I watched her rear up on her hind legs and bat the Mockingbird down. He quickly fled, but I feel certain that if Chow had been hungry, that bird would've been a snack.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

If you put your dryer lint in the far corner of the yard they'll gather that up to use for nesting material and might leave you alone.

Or you can knock them out of the air with a good fly swatter. Whatever works best for you!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Good call on the dryer lint. I've been brushing the dogs out there and leaving little clumps of dog fur, so hopefully our little friend will be satisfied.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother had a resident mockingbird (or what Los Angelenos call a mockingbird, which sounds like not the same thing as yours) outside the window of his apartment in college in Los Angeles.

He was awakened by birdsong most mornings. Unfortunately, besides being in LA, the area had seen several heavy-construction projects over the previous years, and the bird knew and preferred the following noises: jackhammer, crying baby, and siren. :P.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home