Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles

Last night was an emotional rollercoaster.

Drama Queen lived up to her name -- and with good reason -- when she fell off the swingset straight onto her face. My kid is going to preschool today with a black eye. I'm awaiting the knock at the door from CPS.

Maryland beat Duke in the women's national championship game. It was a fantastic game. I felt bad, but not too bad. The Devils put up an excellent fight against a team that just played a fantastic game. But poor Coach G! She's losing a lot of talent. This was her big chance. Now, the rebuilding begins. [On a side note, I ended my ESPN women's tournament challenge in the 93rd percentile, thanks to my considerable ACC bias -- I had three of the final four teams right. Go me! And go my college roommate, who won our group with the same ACC bias and a 96th percentile finish. Needless to say, neither of us did as well on the men's side.]

After the game, I got ready for bed and turned on the Daily Show. Jon was introducing Studs Terkel. No kidding: Studs Terkel! Holy Crap! Ok, now I'm feeling a little bit better about the world as we know it. I went to bed happy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

10 days ago, Miss Baby was climbing in a chair in the den, and it tipped over, dropping her face-first into the edge of the coffee table. It wasn't just a black eye, it was a bruise that began at the bridge of her nose and extended across the entire eye region in a swath to her hairline (and I'm sure beyond that as well, but she has black hair). She looked awful.

The commentary was fun. I generally came back with "Yeah, it's bad. But you should see the other baby!" The worst is the feeling I get when I look at her awful bruising.

So there you go. CPS won't come knocking.

The game was so sad. :(

8:41 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Sorry to hear about Miss Baby. DQ did the same thing on her first birthday, which meant all her birthday pics showcased a lovely bruising pattern and a big gash under her eye. I guess if they didn't pick me up for that, they won't pick me up for this! (Especially now that DQ is so vocal about the whole thing: "I fell off the swing and landed in the dirt. The swing is not nice!")

12:57 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Printhipal Thkinner? I need thum thooz.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

So now my kids are going to be adopted (and baptized) by the Flandereseseseses?

KILL ME NOW!!!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home