Thursday, April 27, 2006

Somebody up there likes me?

Big news: I got an interview. For what wasn't the dream job but I'm fast realizing could very well be the dream job.

I went to campus today to pick some books up, get some editing done, and photocopy many, many things. So I wandered around the department and chatted with several nice profs, admins, and fellow-students. One of my profs told me, "I heard you got an interview!" News travels fast, since I had told my advisor only yesterday. He then emphasized that of course it would go well, because I was "loveable." Aw.

The department secretary then pulls me aside and said she heard about the interview. I asked her to wish me luck. "I can do better than that. I'll be praying for you." Dept. secretary is a nice lady, I guess, but she is rather into the Jesus thing. She wears a headband that says "I [HEART] Jesus" and one time, when the copy machine was jammed right before class, she told me and my prof to "put it in Jesus's hands." Um, no. I don't think Jesus is going to come down and fix the copy machine for us.

But still, nice that she's praying for me. Of course, when I told spouse this, he responded, "So does Jesus need to choose between getting you a job and fixing the copy machine?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Jesus is quite capable of fixing the copy machine AND getting you a job. However, as your resident amateur theologian, my guess is if the copy machine is not working, it's because Jesus smote it.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

I agree with Andy; the Bible depicts Jesus as a multitasker.

Jesus only has to choose when a pair of Catholic schools play football, and then He just makes His decision based on which schoolgirl uniforms have the shorter skirts.

When Catholic schools play basketball, He delegates authority to his right hand man, Billy Packer. As for prep baseball, He doesn't care.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

See? This is what it is all about: some theology, some basketball, and a slightly dirty reference to schoolgirl outfits.

A: the copy machine eventually died. Maybe it was smote (smoten?) Either way, perhaps our secretary's efforts helped allow to the copier to ascend to heaven after its demise. I would hate to think it's sitting in some sort of office-equipment limbo.

PC Load Letter? WTF does that mean?

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I one time heard a funny Car Talk show where a guy called in from Portland and talked about his car often dying, one time on the freeway (the Sylvan Hill going into town, for PDX folk). He was poor, so doesn't have a cel phone, but luckily he got the car stared again. Now, the problem he was describing wasn't one that Click and Clack thought should be resolvable by someone who obviously had no idea what the problem was. "Well, wha'didya do to get it going again?!?" There was this little pause, and he said, "Well ... I'm a Roman Catholic priest, and we have this thing called 'the Laying on of Hands' ..."

Of course, the old saying is "God always answers our prayers--it's just not always the answer we want to hear." Maybe the secretary needed a new copy machine ;). And hopefully you'll get your dream job--whatever it is :)!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Term Papers said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home