Friday, January 05, 2007

Gender and Parenting... again

A recent conversation:

Me: Do you want to wear pants today?
DQ: No, boys wear pants. Girls wear skirts.
Me: That's not true. I'm a girl and I wear pants.
DQ: I like skirts. Boys don't wear skirts.
Me: Some boys wear skirts.
DQ: No they don't!

Timeout to take her to the computer to do a google image search for kilts. Note to all parents out there: do NOT do a google image search for kilts with your three year old in your lap, unless you are prepared to follow it up with a lengthy discussion of male genitalia and its various uses.

You have been warned.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Sheesh. You could have searched for "Groundskeeper Willie" or "Braveheart" or...

Never mind. You should have searched alone. All things Scottish, indeed.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lad, I don' know where ye been,
But I see ye won first PRIZZZZZZZE!"

woohoo!

sorry--I know that was not exactly an appropriate reaction. But I can't think of kilts w/o thinking of that song : ).

I was considering searching "metrosexual" to see what that brought up in the way of men's skirts ... but then decided maybe I should wait until MY kids were asleep, my computer being next to the dining room table and all ; ).

4:34 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

KR, I even did a brief search to see if I could somehow link the Scotsman's song to the post. You beat me to it.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

And here it is (scroll down a bit).

5:04 PM  
Blogger KLee said...

Ah....men in kilts. Now *there's* a thing to behold, especially when the wind is whipping about! Not for small fry, though.

Pardon me while I search the net for pictures of a kilted Sean Connery....mmrowr!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Just a few hours after I read your post:
I was waiting at a red light. An elderly gent was walking across the crosswalk, full regalia, kilt and those knee socks, etc.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

*snicker*

(googling now)

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were at least two men looking fine in kilts at the big New Year's bash downtown.

I love Portland :).

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home