Thursday, December 07, 2006

Setting it aside

Questions for all you out there who are Phinished:

How long did you allow yourself after the defense before you began reworking the dissertation? Did your advisors give you any advice regarding that? Did you work on journals or a book precis? Was the decision prompted by the tenure clock?

My wicked-smaht friend told me her advisor (who is definitely no slouch!) suggested taking a year off before beginning on the rewrite. My study buddy says that the rep from Oxford Press said that anything sent to her within six months of the defense she sends back asking them to take mre time.

That seems heavenly, but possibly unrealistic if you're on the clock. Which I'm not. But still, jobless, it might be a good idea for me to write my way into a better CV. Thoughts?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I took about 3 weeks off and than I did my rewrite...it took about an hour. Of course your rewrite and my rewrite might be different. I needed to add a page since it wasn't quite the right size to level the dining room table.

8:27 AM  
Blogger elle said...

lol @ ej!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

revisit dissertation? still counting...with the tenure clock ticking...
I say, start writing your way to a job with an article. That will also drum up interest in your manuscript.
BUT, before any of that, take some time off. Watch mindless TV and/or read trashy books, and so on. Really.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home