Thursday, November 30, 2006

"Where Nigh-Nigh go?"

While I was out of town, Spouse did something strange. He took away WB's crib. We'd talked about how at this age, DQ was already sleeping in a big-girl bed, but (I thought...) we'd figured that WB just wasn't there yet.

Turns out, he is. Spouse removed the crib, set up the big boy bed with a bed rail and lots of cozy blankets and a couple of toys, and took him in for goodnight last weekend. WB looks around and asks, "Where Nigh-Nigh go?" Evidently, he assumed that the crib was named Nigh-Nigh. Cuteness.

Spouse explained to him that he would now sleep in a big boy bed. "Nigh-Nigh Bi Boy Bed?" Yes.

So far, so good, I guess. He's more of a wanderer than his sister was. He will get up and play, and the first night, he got up and came to greet Spouse with a cheerful, "Hi, Daddy!" at four in the morning. Last night, when I got back into town after a long flight delay, I peaked in at the kids, and WB was very contentedly sleeping on the floor in the center of his room.

Advantages:
  • We don't have to travel with the dreaded Pack'n'Play (this was clearly Spouse's motivation).
  • He doesn't fit all that well into his Pack'n'Play.
  • He seems to like it, proudly showing me his bed this morning.
  • We beat him to the punch of climbing out of the crib, which was going to happen any day now.
Disadvantages:
  • A wandering child may not sleep as well.
  • If we have overnight diaper leakage, it will be on larger bedding and/or carpet.
  • Is Mommy ready for her (most likely last) child to be a big boy? Hmm...

6 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

that last point is at the heart of many childrearing issues

word verification: xtinct

6:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

most likely last? You have a boy and a girl...I think you should go for twins:)

I'm guessing if you have twins you will blame me and never speak to me again for tempting fate

flyboy

If you do have twins can I be the one that tells your spouse:)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Elle, so true. It was probably good that Spouse took this out of my hands.

Flyboy, I think not talking to you ever again would be a little light in the punishment department for wishing twins on me. You have been warned.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

This was hard for me, too -- having only big kids in the house!

Both my kids wake around 4 in the morning nearly every morning and climb in with my husband and me. It's squished but kind of nice.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

I'm so glad Gayle is a good sleeper... it takes a while to get her to settle down, but she sleeps in until 9:30 just about every morning ("early" here is 8:30)

If he wants to sleep on the floor sometimes (Gayle went through a "phase" when she received a Strawberry Shortcake sleeping bag for Christmas) put one of those sheet protector deals on the floor for him to sleep on, just in case there is a leak problem. He'll feel really great about being able to decide whether he sleeps in his bed or on the floor, and you'll still be protected.

Another advantage, when it comes to potty training time he can get up and go without having to deal with crib railings.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

What everybody else said.

Such a big boy!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home