Thursday, September 14, 2006

The number one fan of the man from Tennessee

The leaves are turning, there's a chill in the air. Yes folks, it's football season. Spouse has joined a fantasy league (unfortunately, none of these fantasies involve seduction, candles, silk sheets, etc.) so we've got football on in the house more than in past years. We also had college friend guests this past weekend, so that upped the ESPN time as well. There's something so college-y about lounging on the couch eating pizza and watching ESPN. Only difference is we actually own a coffee table upon which to prop our feet rather than stealing one from the dorm common room. Bygones.

I do enjoy the game, but probably more for the absurdity than the strategy or athleticism. Absurdity the first: what were the parents of Colt McCoy thinking when they named their son? Sure, they were probably hoping to have spawned the next great Texas quarterback, but they were running a serious risk of producing a sleazy male stripper with a name like that.



Absurdity the second: my new favorite player in the NFL is Peyton Manning. He's. Just. Awesome. And I mean that less for his quarterbacking ability than for his comedic timing. Spouse says Eli got the looks in the family, but Peyton got the charm.



**I'm experimenting with Neel's use of the hover text. Fun in small doses.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm still waiting for the rafting collumn. I take full responsiblity for the ESPN time. It was the first week of the season...I wonder about my players.

ej

9:41 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

The rafting entry is coming soon. I promise.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Shoot, from the title I was hoping you were writing about Al Gore.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Susan Anne MacKenna said...

Tell me you didn't watch the Duke-Wake game last Saturday. Please.

We did. Sigh.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

DMD: Nope, bad thing about living on the West Coast: less ACC basketball. Good thing about living on the West Coast: less ACC football.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Bwahahahaha! De-Caf! :) We don't watch sports in our house at all (I'm so lucky to have married a geek!) but I do appreciate the commercials some of these guys do.

5:01 PM  
Blogger elle said...

Girl, I've been loving Peyton. He's smart, from Louisiana, and refused to go to Ole Miss. What's not to love?

(Plus, I heard he's pretty good at his job.)

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when an athlete with a non-Northern accent is so _clearly_ smart/clever/intelligent(/FUNNY!)--so tweaks all the urban Yankee elitist stereotypes :). YAY :)!

(Peyton looks pretty fine, I think. How good looking _is_ Eli?)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I guess I should have made this a "Th-Hers-Day" NFL edition! Neither Peyton nor Eli is, say, a Tiki Barber. But then, as Spouse says, there's only two Tiki Barbers.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home