Friday, July 28, 2006

Oh no! It's a breast!

The recent cover of Babytalk magazine is getting heat for (eek!) showing a baby nursing from a breast. CNN's got an article on the uproar this has caused.

I have posted earlier about how increasing breastfeeding visibility might be a more positive approach than guilting mothers into breastfeeding. The argument being that people are still (unnecessarily, in my opinion) rather skittish about breasts. A couple of my readers suggested that breastfeeding images are no big deal. Really?

Next to the photo: "Why women don't nurse longer?" Gee, I wonder.

Hat Tip to new mother E for sending this my way.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Elle has some very interesting follow-up questions on the article...

5:03 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

People are so stupid. If God meant for us to be offended by the human body, then we'd all be born at night fully clothed. Sheesh.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last month I was at my church mom's group meeting and two moms were nursing ... while the children were in various states of disrobement playing in and around a wading pool ...

The difficulties of covering while breastfeeding prompted me to point out that in Portland it is 100% legal for a woman to walk around topless, because someone sued for discrimination (men couldn't be arrested for being "indecent" if topless) ...

Best response (after the initial surprise--how is it htat I am the ONLY person who knows this legal tidbit???): "Well, OUR meetings are going to be a lot more exciting from now on!" ;).

Altogether, though, I have to agree with Andy. People are so stupid.

I hold onto hope because most American nudists are conservative Christians ... now that is appreciating the beauty of Creation ;). (And all of it's warts and sags, too ;)!! )

3:10 PM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Hat Tip to new mother E for sending this my way.

Interesting choice of words. Last night Stephen Colbert gave this magazine cover not a tip of the hat, but a wag of the finger. He pointed out that breasts served only one biological need -- men's pleasure -- and that the cover promoted cannibalism.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home