Saturday, February 23, 2008

In over my head

So I decided to turn over a new leaf and start exercising again. I did a little research and found out that the college has a gym, but that if you're not enrolled in a PE class, you need to do an orientation before you're allowed to work out there.

I called the number of the gym director and scheduled to get a tour. He suggested dressing down so I could work out that day as well. When I got there, he was dressed down also. "We'll work out together, and that way I can show you all the equipment."

He asked what I wanted to do, I said some cardio but also some weights. I used to do weights at the Y back in the day. 2 sets on six machines, about 3 times a week. He said cool.

We warmed up on the elliptical machine, and chatted. Turns out, gym director is also the head coach of the men's basketball team. (Which was cool because I got some insider info about the team, about recruiting, and fundraising and all that stuff.) He's, um, in way better shape than I am. Then he said, "Ready for some weights?" Sure, I thought. At that point, I was.

We did TEN machines, all the while doing stairmaster in between sets so we don't lose our heartrate. I was really feeling it toward the end of the session. Then, back to the elliptical for cool-down. We did 10 more minutes, all the while talking, having a good time. And then we finished.

I went to shake his hand and thank him. "Oh, we're not done yet. We still need to do our core workout!" ACK! What have I gotten myself into? We did crunches and some other exercises, then some very nice stretching. I was exhausted by the time we were done.

Now, we did shake hands and I said thanks. He responded, "Call me next time you come over and I'll work out with you again. It's always more fun with a partner."

So I've got a new workout buddy. I told Spouse when I got home, and he said, "Oh, you're SO calling him again!" I'm in over my head. But in a healthy way, I suppose.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger K-Lyn said...

The question is...how much pain are you in now?

I for one want to kill my dragonboat coach today. Yesterday he was evil!!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I hurt a bit the next day, but feel pretty good about it now.

(Besides, I want to have arms like you!)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you wear your ring to the gym...I haven't received that much attention even when I'm paying for the "training"

2:11 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

The ring was on and Spouse came up in conversation. But, yes, EJ, it was like having a free personal trainer.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal - free gym and free training!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home