Monday, September 17, 2007

"Call Me When You Have No Class"

I survived my first day, and no fundy fireworks to be found. (Although, KR, your responses were excellent!)

The classes are a longer format than I have had at previous institutions. I've usually taught either an hour or 1.25hr a day course, or simply the 3 hours once a week marathons. The courses at College are 5 credits instead of 3, and therefore either 1.5hr meetings 3 times a week or 2 hrs twice a week. Either way, I was definitely slowing down toward the end of the class period. I need to reorganize to make sure I'm filling my time effectively.

The morning class today was pretty quiet, not a lot going on (doesn't help that I was lecturing on all new material, and cautiously at that.) The afternoon class has real promise. They responded well to my "I've done this lots of times" portion of the lecture. Hard to tell this early, but I don't sense any major personality issues yet.

My third class, the one on my specialty, is tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

To do:
  • Firm up plans to carpool with dept. member (yay! Environmentally friendly life-plan!)
  • Finish benefits paperwork
  • Sign up for retirement account
  • Create gradesheets out of roster material
  • Plan in-class writing workshops???
  • Reorganize lectures!!!
  • Keep it together.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

The morning class today was pretty quiet, not a lot going on (doesn't help that I was lecturing on all new material, and cautiously at that.) The afternoon class has real promise.

Sounds soooo familiar

8:04 PM  
Blogger Law Fairy said...

Congrats and good luck! Glad to hear no one is trying to knock dogma into your head yet :)

Randomly, every time I read "keep it together," I think of Eddie Murphy in Bowfinger. "K-I-T. Keepittogether, keepittogether, keepittogether." I think Mindhead might be my favorite made-up religion. Or at least, it has the best name.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:). Yay you :)!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home