Monday, March 05, 2007

Crafty Meme

March is National Craft Month. So get your craft on! And if you're so inclined, feel tagged to answer this crafty meme:

What do you do? I crochet.

Who taught you? T from my study group taught me. It was during a very difficult time in my life, when I needed a release for nervous energy. So rather than pull my hair out or scratch my face off, I opted for crochet. And boy, was I bad! T was very patient though. And eventually I finished that first learner's project. It was a baby blanket, and it was trapezoidal. Just goes to show: count your stitches.

What are you working on now? I'm experimenting with some boucle yarn. Very difficult to work with, but if you make a mistake, nobody will notice. I couldn't resist the colors in the yarn, and it was on sale. It's just a simple dc pattern to make an afghan.





I tried a few more complicated patterns with this yarn, and they were all failures. Sometimes, easy is best. And hey, it's rectangular!

Future plans? Learn to knit. I have needles. I need know-how.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger N. English said...

There's a difference between crochet and knitting?! Well, I'll be damned.

3:25 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

I can knit. But I want to crochet. We could be really horrible teachers for each other... Or we could kidnap my friend Terrisa and demand she teach us both.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

n - your comment reminds me of my trip to the bookstore this weekend. They combined all the knitting and crochet books together (five shelves of this) as if there isn't any difference. That's like mixing the Chinese and Korean language books together.

6:05 PM  
Blogger N. English said...

You mean to tell me Chinese and Korean are different?! What's next apples and oranges?

Quinn, if you want to learn how to knit, you should see my Great Aunt Ellen. She lives in Hillsboro, got her PhD in Biochemistry in 1946 from Reed, worked for the Marine Corp as a biochemist and then at OHSU. She's a history lesson all by herself and she's been knitting doillies forever (I mean it, like infinity years). She would love the company, too. Let me know offline if you want her number.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Nathan - crochet = one hooked needle, knitting = two straight needles. I learned both when I was a kid but never took to it much (although it came in handy in high school when everyone wanted those mojo-pouch necklaces made from crocheted embroidery thread... I still have a half finished one in one of my craft boxes)

I noticed knitting seems to have taken off in recent years, there are lots of hip knitting shows on HGTV and the DIY network that are interesting to watch, although it's almost like a foreign language.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Jade, thanks for playing! I've never started a meme before.

N, I might have to take you (or your aunt) up on that. I'll be in touch.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Love the color and texture in that photo!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home