Monday, September 25, 2006

Whither History?

I realize that my posts have had less of a historical edge to them lately. The simple explanation of that is that I turned in the diss a little over a week ago, and have been taking a much-needed vacation from allmost-things-history.

In reality, I've been diligently working on a few projects. I wrote another encyclopedia article this week. As a side gig, this is a good one. I like doing the small-topic research, putting together a short piece, and becoming an "expert" on some new area. Kind of fun.

I've also been working on syllabi for my upcoming teaching gig (I begin part-time work in January). I went to my first department faculty meeting, where I got the inside skinny on things that I'd only assumed as a grad student -- especially interesting were the economics behind course scheduling. How do you construct major requirements? Concentrations? How can you offer students what they need without running the risk of having every other course get cancelled due to low enrollment? How do you balance the requirements of a discipline with the consumer-driven attitude of students who demand more choice?

I've been doing odds-and-ends work like formatting my bibliography, applying for graduation, and getting paperwork done. The necessary evils of the degree, I suppose.

Other than that, I've been watching TV and crocheting. Made a hat for the Wild Boy. It's getting cold here. Yay! I'm heading to the yarn shop this afternoon to pick up materials for two more projects.

I promise there will be more history in upcoming posts.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

When I was a kid and thought I was going to grow up to be a teacher, I often wondered how teachers decided what should be taught. It sounds as complicated as I thought it might - good luck!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home