Monday, July 10, 2006

Random Bullets of Moving

(TM Phantom Scribbler Ianqui)

Forgive me as I shamelessly steal terminology from Ianqui, but the random bullets method seems to really be effective for covering vast amounts of material in a short time. Too bad my dissertation couldn't be written in random bullets! :)

The house:
*LOVE IT!
*no train. I was amazed at how much I had grown accustomed to living near a train crossing (5 years). But the silence at night is spectacular.
*we have butterflies who congregate in the backyard. DQ is fascinated.
*the cavernous master bedroom looks like it will accomodate my rocker and a "crafting nook." Yay! Currently shopping for a low shelving/drawer unit to put under the window there.
*Don't hate the paint colors as much as I did when we first house-hunted. One of the main reasons we selected this house was that it had great spaces, but poor cosmetic appeal. And for the price (about 50,000 less than many others we considered), we can buy lots of paint. Now, that's not become to vital.
*Neighborhood. We have just about everything within walking distance. Including an Indian grocery store. Go figure.

Settling in:
*Seven days without phone lines, cable, or internet. I come to realize it really is the internet I miss most (although I could do with a good dose of cable right about now... give me my Colbert Report!)
*Kids start "summer camp" this week. I'll keep everyone posted.
*We've got at least 3 pre-schoolers on our block. We've got at least two parks within walking distance. We've walked there everyday.

Getting back on track:
*the last thing to unpack is my office. Unfortunately, we have no bookshelves at present, so we have to do a little shopping before my 27 boxes of books get cleared. Urgh.
*I received preliminary comments on Chapter 6 right before leaving Lawndale. In short, needs a lot of work (I agree.) But the next thing Advisor wants to see is THE WHOLE DRAFT! Complete with rudimentary introduction and conclusion, and all the fun stuff I've added into chapters 1-5. So that's a big step. Advisor also floated a suggestion to send the draft to the other committee members when I send it to her, which I think bodes well.
*I'm emotionally and mentally ready to work again. Once childcare gets situated, I may actually get some stuff done!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Let me be the first to welcome you to, ahem, Northwest Lawndale.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I stole it from Ianqui, so I'm afraid I can't claim the trademark.

Damn, your new house sounds nice.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:).

Bookshelves: I recommend barrister shelves--tempered glass, of course ;). Keeps the books out of the hands of the kiddos! We got the cheap ones (Sauder brand) at Freddy's, so I tie them shut with string (which I also got at FM ;) ), but of couse the real kind (with locks!) are probably nicer. One of our Sauders is holding up under the weight of The Great Books, so they are sturdier than I thought ... they hit sales at $109.99 about every 6 weeks, and if you catch the 3-Day Coupons (most Sundays) you can ge another 10-15% off ...

11:44 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

I'm afraid of random moving bullets. Leave it to Quinn to come up with the blog equivalent of a drive-by.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I'm a lil bit ghet-to, living here in suburbia with my drive-by blogging.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(as opposed to me, who has proven yet again to be so suburban, living in my urban home. sigh ;). )

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home