Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Music-triggered memories

In line at the bank today: "Get out of my dreams, Get into my car," by the legendary Billy Ocean came on.

For N: scene of me coming to Andy's room in college so we could go to dinner/movie/whatever. Andy replied, "I'm not leaving until I hear Billy Ocean on the radio." N: "I have Billy Ocean in my room." "It's not the same."

For ~n: scene of junior high gym class with whatever her name was, the young kind of cute gym teacher. Everyone is sort of humming along, and then Jay L. (oh so cute, he was!) burst out into a whole dance number, including gesturing gym teacher to get "in the backseat, baby!"

It's amazing how memories can make a mediocre song seem so much better.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Neel Mehta said...

It's amazing how memories can make a mediocre song seem so much better.

It's amazing how different those memories are, depending on whether you use upper case N or lower case ~n.

Also, I think you misremember your memory. I believe I was the idiot who demanded to hear Billy Ocean on the radio (this was 1995, people) and Andy was the one who offered his CD.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not think Jay was cute, but looking back he was definitely one of the cooler guys, and as an adult that would totally make up for the not-cute-ness, especially since he kept himself so well. Mrs. Peake (/Miss I-can't-remember-her-maiden-name) or Ms. Wilson?

12:47 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Memory is a tricky thing, upper-case N. Sorry to short-change your desperation to hear Billy Ocean.

He-blogged, she-blogged indeed!

7:53 PM  
Blogger ~N said...

Mrs. Shoemaker. She makes shoes. How could you forget? :) (I remember of course because PE was always so ego-crushingly traumatic for me.)

In my memory, the look on her face is vivid, but the guy dancing is hazy - so hazy, in fact, that I thought it was Jason Miller. I will gladly substitute Jay in my replay.

...Ahhh, yes; much better.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

To quote "Gigi," ah yes, I remember it well!

~n -- you're totally right about it being Mrs. Shoemaker. Perhaps I'm confusing Jay/Jason with Jay's performance of "Mony Mony" in health class?

9:30 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Oh my God, did we HAVE to go back and dig up memories of junior high gym class? Really? (PS, Jay L. -- HOT.) Speaking of, I heard one of those 50's rock and roll tunes we used in dance class the other day, and yeah, the memory of me trying to throw Kymm over my head...right there.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Oh man... you're making me jealous! I was in the wrong gym class... the best memory I have was when I accidentaly hit a guy named Mike with my lacross stick.

But I got the ball, and made a goal. My one moment of gym class glory. *sigh*

Andy - you're right... Jay L. = totally yummy.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home