Thursday, March 02, 2006

Th-hers-day, for the ladies...

I've been thinking about this whole South Dakota situation. What's my response (you mean besides shocked horror at the direction this country has taken?) My other response is to suggest that perhaps the fine women of South Dakota should up and leave. And if that seems impractical, go all Lysistrata on the men up there.

Or, I suppose another solution would be to find a way that your sexuality will not be used to punish you by forced breeding. The answer? Lesbianism. 100% guaranteed success rate of contraception! Or maybe that's just my white feminist tendencies emerging.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Mississippi and Missouri are in hot pursuit...

12:55 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:35 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

Why would it ever be impractical to LEAVE South Dakota?

3:35 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

K-lyn, I'm not going off on you, but rather using your comment to make a bit of a statement that's been playing on my mind lately.

Why would it ever be impractical to leave SD? Same reason that it was impractical for some people to leave New Orleans when Katrina hit. Some people don't have the support system, money, access to transportation, or freedom to up and leave. Some people are tied by family commitments or duties that make a move impossible.

And that's one of those realizations that makes the right to choose so critical. People ask me if I'd ever have an abortion. I don't know. I've never been in circumstances so rough that giving birth would have been catastrophic. But that's not to say those circumstances don't exist.

I have a friend who just found out she's 8 weeks pregnant. Had an IUD, and yet conceived again. She's got a 5 month old. Yep, the kids will be 12 months apart. She'll have the kid and she'll be ok. But let's say she wasn't comfortably middle class, didn't have health insurance, an employed husband, and that the new baby was #5 instead of #2. Would that change her analysis of what she was capable of handling?

It's not for any of the tragic circumstances we can imagine that we need the right to choose. It's for the unforeseen. 'Cause the unforeseen happens, too.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home