Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Working in the Sticks

My job is in a small town community, and the college feeds a larger rural community surrounding it. Which is kind of cool, as I have interaction with rural folks that I've never really had, being an urbanite or suburbanite my whole life.

Fun stuff: a flyer posted around campus with a picture of Fonzie. Caption: "Hay! Hay for sale, call xxx-xxxx." Besides that, there are at least occasional offers of free farm products: apples from peoples orchards, eggs from their chickens and geese, and even the occasional "Does anybody want a lamb shank this winter?"

Scary stuff: I'm talking about developing a team-teaching course with another instructor. He says the best way to plan this out would be if I came up to his place (WAY out of town), ride some horses, and then we do work. He just got 3 horses and is tremendously excited about them. I'm a little terrified of horses. Wish me luck.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger N. English said...

Two broken arms later, I don't ride horses anymore. Smart, strong and a temper like John McCain's is not a good animal to ride on.

Good luck!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Or to be president.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

He says the best way to plan this out would be if I came up to his place (WAY out of town), ride some horses, and then we do work.

And you're worried about the horses? I'm worried about the proposition.

4:43 PM  
Blogger K-Lyn said...

I'm with N. Sounds odd but maybe it was how you wrote it.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to ride again. I haven't been on a horse in over 10 years. It really depends on the horse. Just like people, there are some you trust and some you don't.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Good luck with the horse thing. I've gone riding a few times and the time spent does depend on the animal. If he just got the horses though... I wonder if he is fully aware of any sort of tempermental surprises they might have.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Anyway, I'd LOVE to ride again. I haven't been on a horse in over 10 years. It really depends on the horse. Just like people, there are some you trust and some you don't.

Exactly. There are some people I'd ride and some I wouldn't.

Haven't done much of any "riding," though. Time to get back on that, um, horse...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Well, how 'bout that local sports team? Have to admit, this was an angle I hadn't considered.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home