Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Hate Ike

This is the email I got this morning from a good friend in Houston:


I hate Ike, but we're fine. I took in some other friends and dogs. Ike went right over us. 6am the back side hit hard; forced rain water through some windows and actually through my wooden front door--the door, not the edges of it. All under control, minor other damage. Little rain/wind now, but not going out yet. Still have electricty, a/c, tv, ec. --one of the only parts of the county with electricity. Water supply may be bad, but plenty of bottled water and alcohol. Buffalo Bayou that goes through downtown has overflowed its banks, NOT from rain, but from the tidal surge tht forced water back all the way from Galveston Bay into town. One of my best friends had a 60' pine tree go through his home. He's safe.

It was as bad as everyone said it would be, and I/we got damn lucky.


Just as a side note: Buffalo Bayou is about 50 miles from Galveston Bay. That's a hell of a surge.

Geez, I am so glad I moved.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

As I get the check-in calls from everyone down there, it does look as if he's the only person in town with power.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

A few years back, as we tried to determine where Dan's job would move us, we briefly considered St. Pete, Florida. Whenever I see hurricane season I thank my lucky stars that job offer didn't work out. I'll take the short growing seasons and gray skies of the NW above even the chance of a hurricane any day.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

As of Sunday, power's still out at our relatives' homes. They're predicting a return to power on Tuesday.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home