Saturday, November 10, 2007

Things I learned this week:

  • My students are hilarious. But then, I knew that.
  • Having a conference with a 6'7" student should always be done sitting down. My neck hurts.
  • The student who drives me crazy is driving everyone else in the class crazy too.
  • My son wants to be a "startle monster" when he grows up (yes, one who sneaks up and startles people)
  • Oregon is a serious contender for the National Championship. And my folks will go no matter what.
  • College Basketball has started!!!!
  • You can't please all the people all the time. And that is so true in student evaluations.
  • Sinus infections are evil.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Re #5: Go Ducks! I love seeing the power center of the Pac-10 shift north away from the University of Spoiled Chldren.

Re #6: On one hand, I'm excited. On the other hand, my beloved UK Wildcats, having run Tubby Smith out of town, have already lost badly to Gardner-Freakin'-Webb. At home. Let's just say I'm conflicted.

Re #7: Although as a whole, student evaulations can be a useful tool in improving your teaching, individual student's evals can have the same relationship to reality as a Bush Administration "press conference". Remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

The student who drives me crazy is driving everyone else in the class crazy too.

Might be therapeutic to gang up on him (has to be a him, right?) in the guise of roleplay. For example, if you were teaching the Roman Empire, re-enact the murder of Julius Caesar with you-know-who in the title role.

Now, you don't get to kill him, but repeatedly poking him but blunt instruments in a class effort could be fun.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

G: I have to admit, despite my Duke degree, that I kinda love Tubby. So I sort of see the whole Gardner thing as, um, righteous punishment.

N: I was thinking of killing him off during our Plague scenario.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Sinus infections are evil, and it's very weird that so many people I know who have not come in contact with each other have appeared to all have sinus infections at the same time.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home