Friday, May 04, 2007

If you're happy and you know it...

Julie and K-lyn stole some thunder, but I'll play along with the "10 songs that make me happy" meme. Here goes:

As Cool As I Am, by Dar Williams. Totally danceable and Dar is adorable, plus a great message. Reminds me not to think of myself based on what men say about me. "I will not be afraid of women." Damn straight.

Don't Worry about the Government, by Talking Heads. I don't even know why I love this so much. But I have vivid memories of moving into a new house, unpacking the boxes, and blasting this repeatedly.

I Feel Lucky, by Mary Chapin Carpenter. "Hot dog, I feel lucky tonight!" And I would totally choose Lyle (choice #11?) over Dwight.

Heatseeker Boy, by Moxy Früvous. Umlaut or no, these guys rock. I could have picked half a dozen Früvous songs, but "Bustier and the Sassy Crew" puts this over the top.

Hey-Ya, by Outkast. I mean, seriously, try not to dance to this. Plus, you gotta love somebody mashing it up with the Charlie Brown videos.

Think, by Aretha Franklin. Another song with a great beat AND a great message. And it reminds me of countless 2am showings of The Blues Brothers with Spouse and the college gang.

The Three Fine Daughters of Farmer Brown, by Eddie from Ohio. Funny how upbeat a song about tragic death by drowning can be. Plus, it reminds me of the half-dozen times I've seen EFO live. And Julie freakin' WAILS!

Women and Men, by They Might Be Giants. Memories of high school, marching band practice, Corridor 2, Sco4tt, and so much more.

When I am King, by Great Big Sea. Great Big Sea is the one that's like Carbon Leaf, but doesn't suck. (Hee hee!)

Mah Na Mah Na, by the Muppets. Classic.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger K-Lyn said...

I specifically left off As Cool As I Am 'cause that is YOUR Dar song.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Neel Mehta said...

Just as Quinn left off "The Rainbow Connection" because it's SPOUSE'S Muppet song.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

I was just recommending my friend buy "Flood" the other night... I remember being in history class with Scott P and every time our teacher said "Istambul" we'd both start humming and bobbing our heads to the beat of the song.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

What's funny and strange about this list is that I could pick alternate songs from most of these artists to make up my own list. Threadjack away!

Dar Williams - "The Christians and the Pagans"

Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime"

Mary-Chapin Carpenter - "Shut Up and Kiss Me"

Moxy Fruvous - "King of Spain"

Can't mess with "Hey-Ya" though, best happy song of the last 20 years. "Lend me some sugar, I am your neighbor!"

EFO - "Old Dominion" "Grow up, Colorado"

TMBG - "James K. Polk"

The Muppets - "Doo Wop Doo Wop Hop"

Have I mentioned that we need to meet in the middle somewhere, say Iowa, and have an old-fashioned mix tape dance party?

7:20 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

You were a-wandering out on the hills of Iowa and you were thinking of me?

But seriously, "James K. Polk," "Old Dominion," and "Life During Wartime" all made the initial cut. Separated at birth, joined at the iPod.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh, As Cool As I Am is your song? Off to change my blog's name...

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home